Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8126 - 01/16/05 09:40 PM How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
RegalRanger

Less than two months ago, I purchased a used 1997 Ford Ranger XLT, Regular Cab (2.3 L I-4, 5 spd.). Shortly after the purchase, the check engine light came. I had the code read at a local auto parts store, and the code P1443 was returned. The description for the code was ďEvaporative Emission Control System Control ValveĒ. Initially, I didnít do anything to fix the problem. The light ended up clearing itself a couple of days after it first came on. However, the light only stayed off for a few driving cycles before it came back on (and stayed on). I had the code read again, and again I got the P1443 code.

I did some research on the web and found that the problem could be the Canister Purge Assembly. This assembly connects the intake manifold to the charcoal canister and the assembly is made up of hoses, a valve and a sensor. On my 1997 Ranger, it is located near the front of the engine compartment on the driverís side (the canister is right behind the driverís side headlight). Apparently, if there are any cracks in the hoses, or if the valve or the sensor wears out, this will cause the check engine light to come on, and return the P1443 code. After looking around on the web for a couple of days, I was lucky enough to find a few part numbers for the canister purge solenoid/flow sensor assemblies:

F57Z-9C987-AB Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 2.3L

F57Z-9C987-CA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 3.0L

F57Z-9C87-BA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 4.0L

After trying to get the part at a few different auto parts stores, I made a trip to the dealer to order the part. It ended up costing about $65 (although, I have heard it can cost $80 - $100 depending on the exact part number that you need). It only took 5 or 10 minutes to install the part, and it was fairly simple. Initially, I started the truck and the check engine light was still on. However, the light cleared itself after a few driving cycles and it has stayed off ever since (it has been about 5 weeks and 1500 miles).

Hopefully this helps someone who had the same problems that I did. From my experience, and from what I have found in my research, if you get the P1443 code on a late 90ís Ranger, this is the way to fix it. Hopefully you will be able to use the part numbers above to order your parts (I am not sure where on the web I originally got the part numbers from, but I did use them to order the part that I needed). I believe this is a part that you can only get at a dealer, so you may not even want to waste time trying to order it from the auto parts stores. I would rate this as a fairly easy thing to replace as long as you have some knowledge about working on cars and trucks. However, if you donít feel comfortable doing it yourself, you may want to ask for help from a friend who is knowledgeable before you spend the money to have someone else do it.

[This message has been edited by RegalRanger (edited 01-16-2005).]

#8127 - 03/24/05 01:39 PM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
djolle68

Quote:
Originally posted by RegalRanger:
Less than two months ago, I purchased a used 1997 Ford Ranger XLT, Regular Cab (2.3 L I-4, 5 spd.). Shortly after the purchase, the check engine light came. I had the code read at a local auto parts store, and the code P1443 was returned. The description for the code was ďEvaporative Emission Control System Control ValveĒ. Initially, I didnít do anything to fix the problem. The light ended up clearing itself a couple of days after it first came on. However, the light only stayed off for a few driving cycles before it came back on (and stayed on). I had the code read again, and again I got the P1443 code.

I did some research on the web and found that the problem could be the Canister Purge Assembly. This assembly connects the intake manifold to the charcoal canister and the assembly is made up of hoses, a valve and a sensor. On my 1997 Ranger, it is located near the front of the engine compartment on the driverís side (the canister is right behind the driverís side headlight). Apparently, if there are any cracks in the hoses, or if the valve or the sensor wears out, this will cause the check engine light to come on, and return the P1443 code. After looking around on the web for a couple of days, I was lucky enough to find a few part numbers for the canister purge solenoid/flow sensor assemblies:

Assembly - 2.3L

Assembly - 3.0L

Assembly - 4.0L

After trying to get the part at a few different auto parts stores, I made a trip to the dealer to order the part. It ended up costing about $65 (although, I have heard it can cost $80 - $100 depending on the exact part number that you need). It only took 5 or 10 minutes to install the part, and it was fairly simple. Initially, I started the truck and the check engine light was still on. However, the light cleared itself after a few driving cycles and it has stayed off ever since (it has been about 5 weeks and 1500 miles).

Hopefully this helps someone who had the same problems that I did. From my experience, and from what I have found in my research, if you get the P1443 code on a late 90ís Ranger, this is the way to fix it. Hopefully you will be able to use the part numbers above to order your parts (I am not sure where on the web I originally got the part numbers from, but I did use them to order the part that I needed). I believe this is a part that you can only get at a dealer, so you may not even want to waste time trying to order it from the auto parts stores. I would rate this as a fairly easy thing to replace as long as you have some knowledge about working on cars and trucks. However, if you donít feel comfortable doing it yourself, you may want to ask for help from a friend who is knowledgeable before you spend the money to have someone else do it.

#8128 - 03/24/05 01:44 PM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
djolle68

Thanks for the information! I have a 96 Ranger with the same code. Although I'm an ameteur, I think I can handle this problem now.

Quote:

Assembly - 2.3L

Assembly - 3.0L

Assembly - 4.0L

#8129 - 04/23/05 08:02 AM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
dalem

Loc: Rochester, NY

This sounds like it should fix my problem.
So how do I go about finding the correct part numbers for my 1996 Ranger?

Thanks Loads
Dale

#8130 - 05/12/05 07:22 PM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
kezell

I would just like to say thanks for the info. I finally changed the parts listed above and the code P1443 cleared it self after just a few driving cycles. Thanks
#8131 - 06/06/05 10:00 PM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
psychojediboy

I'm trying to fix this same problem on my '96, but I've gone a little farther and replaced the canister, too. The problem I have is that I forgot which hose goes to which connector on the canister. Can anyone tell me which is which? It looks to me like the connector closest to the fender on the canister should go to the valve and sensor, and the one closer to the engine should be connected to the longer hose that runs back into the engine. Is that right? I'm trying to find a diagram online, but so far no luck.
#8132 - 06/11/05 11:39 AM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
TimH

psychojediboy, did you figure out where the hoses go? Whould it help if some one checked out their hose routing? I have a 95 ranger 4.0L if it wiould help.....Tim
#8133 - 06/20/05 05:03 PM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
Cujo64

Loc: Plano TX

wow ! thank you so much for the info, I have been battling back and forth with a local auto parts store about getting this fixed. I will go to the local ford house and try to get this and see if that will fix the issue. I cant get my truck inspected till I get that code off. ugggh ! Rob
#8134 - 07/03/05 08:31 AM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
beasleycove

I want to thank you for your post. Your work saved me much time and money. Thanks again. Ron

Quote:

Assembly - 2.3L

Assembly - 3.0L

Assembly - 4.0L

#8135 - 07/07/05 03:28 PM Re: How to fix code P1443 for a 1997 Ford Ranger
phid

Thanks for the posts on this problem!

On the Evap Emmission coming out of the charcoal cannister there is the Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor Assembly (called the cannister purge valve at some auto parts dealers. This then leads to a 2 port valve (I think it's a valve) that goes to the engine/manifold.

My question: What is the name of that 2 port vacuum valve? I would like to replace it also.

FYI: Look at auto parts sites for cannister purge valves. If they are the same thing, they run $30-40.

To psychojediboy: The large vacuum hole in the cannister goes to the solenoid valve (orient arrow to engine), this goes to the 2 port valve thing, this goes to the engine. The way my 2 port valve is oriented has the connector pointed to the rear of the engine compartment, and the rear port on the valve (over the connector) to the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Joe-OBDII, jpatrick, MJF, AutoTap-Admin 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.047 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.